Italian Beef Stew Recipe
Everyone loves a good stew, they're so easy to make, packed with protein and they're easy to make in bulk and freeze which can save a lot of time in the kitchen.
This is a simple recipe for a tasty beef stew using Italian herbs and seasoning. Like many stews, this dish is really versatile and you could easily make it with lamb or pork instead (remember that this would change the nutrition values) and you can throw in lots of different vegetables if you choose too.
We've made this a quick stew that cooks in under an hour but if you want a richer flavour and more tender meat then you could cook this in the oven in a casserole dish for a few hours or by throwing everything into the slow cooker too. Either way, it's really yummy regardless of how you cook it!
Prep Time: 5 min | Cook Time: 60 mins | Kcal 243 | Protein: 27g | Carbs: 9g | Fat: 11g | Yield: 4 Portions
Recipe by: | *Nutrition values per portion
Making Our Low Carb Beef Stew Recipe
- 500g stewing beef
- 400ml beef stock or red wine
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Heat a large pot on a medium heat and add the olive oil and gently fry the onions for a few minutes. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Throw in the carrots, tomato puree, stock, seasoning and beef to the pan and mix through.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for around 40 minutes, remove the lid and simmer for a further 20 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken. Alternatively, you could do all of the above but in a slow cooker for an even more delicious, rich stew.